Diarrhea is defined as the frequent passage of loose or watery stools, more than three times a day. Sometimes fever, nausea, cramping, stomach pains, gas, and bloating come with it. Most common causes of diarrhea include getting diarrhea after eating something spoiled, or something that is contaminated, food allergies, laxatives, viral infections, lactose intolerance, and a lot more. One of the worst and common effects of diarrhea is dehydration and that is why proper diarrhea treatment and diet is required for everyone affected by the sickness, whether the patient is a baby, child or adult.
When it comes to diarrhea treatment or the prevention of diarrhea, diet is important. One affected with this sickness must focus on rehydrating themselves. You must replace the fluids that your body has lost by drinking plenty of water, around 8 glasses per day. You should be drinking at least 8 glasses a day even when you’re not sick. Water is a very important ingredient that every single person should have a lot of in their body because it cleanses your body from within, removing all dirt and unnecessary waste.
No one has ever survived dehydration. It is crucial that patients drink plenty of water, especially when affected with this sickness, because when one has diarrhea, your body rejects too much water and food that shouldn’t even be excreted in the first place, and that is why your body ends up with very little water and nutrients.
Your body also has electrolyte levels, and they need to be at a certain level. When one has diarrhea, your electrolyte levels decrease, which also makes you dehydrated. Thus the solution for this is drinking rehydration drinks that contain electrolyte. This is what doctors usually prescribe to patients of any age, but these drinks should not be taken instead of water; it should be taken along with water. You must only buy the rehydration drinks that your doctor has prescribed to you.
Foods That You Must Avoid
– Dairy products like milk, cheese and ice cream. However, there is one and only one exception to this rule. Patients are allowed to eat yoghurt.
– Foods contain a lot of fat and oil like French fries, fried chicken and pork.
– Foods that contain a lot of fiber, such as beef, and fruits like mango and orange.
– Drinks that contain caffeine, like coke, other sodas, coffee and tea.
– Very sweet foods such as candies, gums, cakes, cookies, etc.
– Raw food
– Street Food
– Tap water and ice made from tap water
– Foods That You Should Eat
– Potatoes (not fried, preferably steamed, boiled or baked)
– Cooked Vegetables
– Baked chicken without its skin and fat
These are the foods that can be easily digested by the body, especially when in a delicate condition. However, a person’s diet can change if they have chronic diarrhea, which is diarrhea that lasts for longer than 2 weeks.
What A Patient With Chronic Diarrhea Should Avoid
– Milk products
– Gluten, which can be found in products such as wheat, rye and barley.
However, it would be best to seek professional medical help and advice from a doctor because not all cases of diarrhea are exactly the same, so it is important that you go and have a checkup with a doctor to know what your condition is, and what is good and okay for you to consume.