What is a Ventolin Asthma Inhaler?
Typically, a Ventolin asthma inhaler will assist breathing difficulty or to relieve patients suffering from asthma attacks. The active ingredient in Ventolin is Salbutamol, which is extremely fast acting in the effective relief and treatment of asthma and its symptoms. On inhalation, salbutamol acts as a relaxing agent to the lung airways, thereby allowing the patient to breathe more easily and alleviate acute asthmatic attack.
How to identify Asthma
An asthmatic episode is a condition that causes breathing difficulty and a constrictive feeling in the membranes surrounding the airway passages. In a typical asthmatic episode, or attack, inflammation of the lining of the airway passages and the mucosa, which covers the airways, causes a constriction or narrowing of the passages. Breathing becomes harder due to the narrow airway. The asthma attack, whilst physical, can also include sever panic in the victim, thereby reducing even further the chance of proper, normal breathing and if left unchecked, is potentially fatal.
- Wheezing or a rattling sound after each breath
- Tightness around the Chest
- Shortness of breath
How the Inhaler works
The Ventolin Inhaler, with the active ingredient Salbutamol is a bronchodilator. With each inhalation, the muscles around the airway relax allowing the bronchi to dilate. By inhaling the drug, it travels directly to the source of the problem, acting as immediate and rapid responder. The immediacy of the ingredients to work on the affected area allows relief from symptoms and prevention of full-blown asthmatic attack. It is not a prophylactic, but merely a symptomatic and short-term cure for acute asthmatic symptoms which are not life threatening. Patients and sufferers, who experience chronic symptoms and increasing asthmatic episodes should definitely and without lingering, seek medical advice.
Using the Inhaler
Remember, this inhaler contains an extremely potent bronchodilator, which should be treated with the same attention and due care as any other dangerous drug. To use it effectively, you should follow the correct steps and guidelines:
- Before using, remove the cap and shake the inhaler first.
- Begin by breathing normal and exhale completely.
- Place your mouth on the mouthpiece. Completely seal your lips around it to prevent air from leaking out.
- Start to inhale slowly and deeply while pressing on the button. This is usually found on top of the inhaler.
- Hold your breath for around 10 seconds to give ample time for the drug to be absorbed into your air passages before exhaling slowly.
We have outlined the correct way to take a single puff from Ventolin Inhaler. Some suffers require two or three puffs before they feel any relief from their symptoms. We strongly advise that people using the device should only do so according to their doctor’s instructions. If you feel that your symptoms are not relieved with the prescribed dosage, you should speak to your doctor about either finding a different or stronger dose before you self-medicate and take more than you were advised to take.
It is important to remember that Ventolin is a symptomatic relief medication and not a preventative or cure. It may therefore be that you will not require it daily.
What is the “Spacer”?
The spacer is a device designed to assist Ventolin Inhaler users when taking their medication. The spacer acts as a coordinated timer to minimize the stress when the patient is already having difficulty breathing and behaving normally; loss of breath can make one feel frightened and vulnerable. The spacer will help to alleviate the stress. Follow these steps to use the spacer with the inhaler:
- Remove the inhaler cap and shake.
- Insert the inhaler end into the spacer and exhale normally away from the spacer.
- Place your mouth over the mouthpiece and seal your lips around it to prevent air from leaking in or out.
- Press the button to release the medication into the inhaler and spacer.
- Breathe in deep and slow.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds to allow the medication to work before exhaling.
These steps illustrate the method used for taking only one puff – you might need more than one, but if you do on a regular basis, we strongly advise that you get the advice from your doctor. The advice is better safe than sorry